Friday, February 6, 2009

For the love of bicycling!

So over the past few weeks I have been trying to find a way that I could exercise Tiki. He loves to go for walks, but he always wants to go for longer and faster than I have the time or energy for. So then I thought I would try to teach him how to walk on my treadmill. That didn't go over well. The noise scared him and he wouldn't go any where near it. So then the idea came to me that I should try riding a bike with him walking/running to the side of me.

Only problem, I didn't have a bike. So I found a decent bike at my work (Wal-Mart) and purchased it, along with a helmet and a light attachment, since it is dark out all the time right now. I adjusted everything and rode it myself a few times to get the hang of it again. Amazingly I didn't forget how! Just like the old saying, "it's just like riding a bike", who knew!

The next step was to see how Tiki would like it. I was nervous that he would be scared of it, but he took to it, like a lab takes to water. We rode just in the cul-de-sac for a little bit first without a leash just to see how he would react. He followed me the whole time and loved it! So tonight I put on the leash and we braved the streets around the neighboorhood. He loved it and did great. He never got scared by the other things going on around us and never tried to pull me off the bike, or try to run into it! A success! Finally!

So now I can ride him around at least 2 or 3 times a week. He is too young still to do it every day. To much could damage his growth or joints. But at least now I have a way to get some good exercies for both of us!


3 comments:

The Gunter Clan said...

Why didn't the Dogwhisperer come up with something like this? You're a genius.

Anonymous said...

He is getting so big. I cant believe it. Cant wait to have his babies. okay that sounds weird. Cant wait to own one of his babies!!

big_smartmouth said...

i concur, you are a genius. and way to add something new to your exercise plate! when the weather turns nicer, you should come down here and we can all ride bikes on the bike bath near us.